The U.S. Department of State and IREX are excited to announce the launch of the Leveraging Innovations in New Communities (LINC) Grant program, a new opportunity for Alumni of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders.
The application period for 2020 LINC Grants is now closed.
Like the former Collaboration Fund Grant program on which it is based, LINC grants will provide small grants for Fellow Alumni to pursue professional collaborations within the Fellowship’s Alumni Network. Grants will support Alumni to travel to each other’s countries for joint projects or learning opportunities. Grants may also assist with the implementation costs of these collaborations. Examples of LINC collaborations include joint service projects or trainings, job shadowing or mentoring arrangements, or joint research or teaching.
Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni from all cohort years are eligible to apply for LINC grants of up to $4,000. Applicants, Collaborators, and collaboration activities must be based in Sub-Saharan Africa. LINC-funded collaborations may not exceed four weeks.
2019 LINC grant proposals must address one or more of the following themes:
- Cultivating Economic Prosperity through Women’s Entrepreneurship
- Fostering International Trade through Business Partnerships
- Advancing Peace through Conflict Prevention and Reconciliation
- Promoting Equitable Access to Education
- Innovating in Science & Technology
Applications will be evaluated on their relevance to the selected theme; clarity and feasibility of their goals and planned activities; justification for the need to travel; relevance of Alumni’s experience to the proposed collaboration activity; and benefit to the Applicant’s community, organization, service initiative, or professional or leadership development. Please review the Application Guidelines linked below for more information on eligibility and selection criteria.
LINC Grant Timeline
- Application Deadline | October 15, 2019
- Notification of Award | December 2019 – January 2020
- Grant Period | January 18 – May 31, 2020
To apply, Alumni are required to:
- Update their contact information in the Fellowship Contact Information Update Form.
- Explore the Alumni Directory to identify possible collaborators.
- Complete and submit the online application by 11:59 PM EDT on October 15, 2019.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.