The application period for the Reciprocal Exchange component of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is now closed.
The Reciprocal Exchange component provides Americans with the opportunity to travel to Africa to build upon strategic partnerships and professional connections developed during the Mandela Washington Fellowship in the United States:
- The Reciprocal Exchange component provides funds for American professionals to travel to sub-Saharan African countries to continue collaborative work with Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni on the continent.
- American professionals may include those met during the Mandela Washington Fellowship through site visits, networking, the Summit, Professional Development Experiences, or other activities.
- Through these projects, Americans and young African leaders form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Learn how Americans have leveraged the Reciprocal Exchange component to increase opportunities for their businesses in the United States, or explore previous projects between Fellow Alumni and American professionals.
Reciprocal Exchange Award Timeline
- Application Deadline | October 15, 2019
- Grant Period | January 18 – July 31, 2020
American professionals participating in the Reciprocal Exchange must be U.S. citizens currently living in the United States. American professionals may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. Embassy, USAID, and other U.S. Government entities).
Fellows must be considered Alumni of the Fellowship by the U.S. Department of State and must be in good standing. Fellow Alumni may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government. Fellow Alumni must reside in the host country and be present for the duration of the Reciprocal Exchange.
American professionals, including previous Award recipients, and Fellow Alumni from all cohorts are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to Americans and Fellow Alumni who have not previously participated in the Reciprocal Exchange.
- Reciprocal Exchange Application Guidelines
- Reciprocal Exchange Recruitment Flyer
- Required Application Documents
- Frequently Asked Questions
Please contact REmwf@irex.org with any questions.