The U.S. Department of State and IREX are pleased to announce that applications for the Reciprocal Exchange component are being accepted through February 18, 2020.
The application period for Reciprocal Exchanges is now closed.
The Reciprocal Exchange component provides Americans with the opportunity to travel to Africa to build upon strategic partnerships and professional connections developed during the Mandela Washington Fellowship in the United States:
- The Reciprocal Exchange component provides funds for American professionals to travel to sub-Saharan African countries to continue collaborative work with Fellowship Alumni on the continent.
- American professionals may include those met during the Mandela Washington Fellowship through site visits, networking, the Summit, Professional Development Experiences or other activities.
- Through these projects, Americans and young African leaders form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Learn how Americans have leveraged the Reciprocal Exchange component to increase opportunities for their businesses in the United States. Learn about previous projects between Fellows and American professionals.
Reciprocal Exchange Award Timeline
- Application Deadline | February 18, 2020
- Grant Period | May 1 – November 30, 2020
American professionals participating in the Reciprocal Exchange component must be U.S. citizens currently living in the United States. American professionals may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government (including a U.S. Embassy, USAID, and other U.S. Government entities).
Fellowship Alumni must be considered Alumni of the Fellowship by the U.S. Department of State. They may not be employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. Government. Fellowship Alumni must reside in the proposed project country and be present for the full duration of the project’s implementation. Fellowship Alumni must also fill out the Fellowship contact information form if they have not done so in the last four months.
Fellowship Alumni from all cohorts are eligible to apply. American professionals who have received two or more Reciprocal Exchange Awards previously are ineligible to apply. Preference will be given to Americans and Fellowship Alumni who have not previously participated in the Reciprocal Exchange component.
Please contact REmwf@irex.org with any questions.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is a program of the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by IREX.