The Mandela Washington Fellowship seeks qualified U.S.-based post-secondary educational institutions, including accredited U.S. colleges and universities and non-governmental organizations, to host and implement six-week Leadership Institutes in summer 2022.
Institute Partners will host 25 Fellows from early June to mid-July 2022 for a non-credit, non-degree, six-week Institute. Due to the ongoing global pandemic, and with the safety and well-being of Fellows and Partners as the highest priority, selected U.S. Institute Partners must demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness to adjust planning and programming as necessary to meet the needs of the Fellowship and individual Fellows. Joint applications between two educational institutions are permitted, particularly in cases where a smaller institution may wish to partner with a neighboring institution to leverage complementary resources. All joint applications must designate one official entity as the lead administrator on the sub-award and should delineate how responsibilities will be shared.
Highlights of the 2022 Fellowship will include:
- Promising young African leaders between the ages of 25 and 35 will enhance their skills and expertise at selected U.S. colleges and universities through Leadership Institutes in one of three themes (tracks): Business, Civic Engagement, and Public Management.
- Leadership Institutes across the United States will host cohorts of 25 Fellows from early June through mid-July 2021 for a non-credit, non-degree, executive leadership-style academic program.
- An intensive Institute model that combines practical academic sessions, leadership training, site visits, professional networking opportunities, community service, and organized cultural activities to maximize professional adult learning and cultural exchange.
- Programming that strengthens connections between the United States and Africa and establishes enduring partnerships between Fellows, local communities, and private businesses.
Applications for all tracks are welcome; please contact Steven Funk, Senior Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Eligible U.S.-based educational institutions who would like to host a Leadership Institute in 2022 should submit the online application and required materials to IREX no later than Friday, October 15, 2021. Minority-serving institutions (MSIs), historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs), and community colleges are encouraged to apply.
To learn more about the Mandela Washington Fellowship’s highlights and success stories, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@WashFellowship) and Instagram (@MandelaWashFellowship). Our social media accounts feature stories about Fellows as well as highlights from previous Institutes and Summits.
Materials, Templates, and Submission Information
- 2022 Request for Leadership Institute Applications
- 2022 Leadership Institute Narrative Template
- 2022 Leadership Institute Budget Narrative Template
- 2022 Leadership Institute Budget Worksheet Template
- Reference Materials
Contact Steven Funk, Senior Program Officer, at email@example.com.