The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is seeking qualified U.S.-based post-secondary educational institutions including accredited U.S. colleges and universities and non-governmental organizations to host and implement two-week Alumni Enrichment Institutes in summer 2022.
Alumni Institute Partners will host 25 participants from late July to early August 2022 for a non-credit, non-degree, two-week program. Due to the ongoing global pandemic, and with the safety and well-being of participants and partners as the highest priority, selected U.S. Alumni Institute Partners must demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness to adjust planning and programming as necessary to meet the needs of the Fellowship and individual participants.
Joint applications between two educational institutions or with a non-governmental organization are permitted, particularly in cases where a smaller institution may wish to partner with a neighboring institution to leverage complementary resources. All joint applications must designate one official entity as the lead administrator on the subaward and should delineate how responsibilities will be shared. Applications are due Friday, December 17, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST.
Key considerations include:
- Promising young African leaders from the 2021 Fellowship cohort, who are between the ages of 23 and 38, have established records of promoting innovation and positive change in their organizations, institutions, and communities.
- In summer 2021, these leaders completed a virtual intensive Leadership Institute model that combined practical academic sessions, leadership training, virtual site visits, professional networking opportunities, community service, and cultural activities to maximize professional adult learning and cultural exchange.
- Alumni Enrichment Institute programming should strengthen connections between the United States and Africa and establish enduring partnerships between participants, local communities, and private businesses.
Minority serving institutions (MSIs), Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), and community colleges are encouraged to apply.
- November 4, 2021 | Application Opens
- December 17, 2021 | Application Closes
Materials and Templates
- Application Materials and Templates
- Reference Materials
Please contact Kristen Shannon, Senior Program Officer, at email@example.com with any questions. Eligible U.S.-based educational institutions who would like to host an Alumni Enrichment Institute in 2022 should submit the online application and required materials to IREX no later than Friday, December 17, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST. To learn more about the Mandela Washington Fellowship’s highlights and success stories, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@WashFellowship) and Instagram (@MandelaWashFellowship). Our social media accounts feature stories about Alumni as well as highlights from previous Institutes and Summits.