The U.S. Department of State and IREX are excited to announce the 2022 Leadership Impact Award launch, an opportunity for Alumni of the Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders.
The Leadership Impact Award recognizes the individual achievements of one outstanding member of the Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Network. Ideal candidates for the Leadership Impact Award are Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni who have freely and consistently committed their time and expertise to the needs of others—whether inside or outside of work—by promoting inclusion, innovation, and access in their personal or professional communities.
The Leadership Impact Award opportunity provided Ian Tarimo the platform to showcase his work at TAI Tanzania, where compelling human-centered narratives are presented via 3D animations, comic strip posters, and radio plays to address challenges in Tanzania.
Institute Partners, Reciprocal Exchange Participants, U.S. Embassies and Consulates, and Professional Development Experience Host Organizations may nominate Fellowship Alumni for the Leadership Impact Award. Self and peer nominations will not be accepted. Nominators, including those from the same organization, can nominate more than one person for the Leadership Impact Award.
Fellowship Alumni nominated for the Leadership Impact Award will be invited to submit an online application. Nominees will be evaluated on the impact of their work, their service as ambassadors for the Mandela Washington Fellowship, the quality of their advice to 2022 Mandela Washington Fellows, and their professionalism and English proficiency.
One winner will be selected and invited to share a recorded message with the 2022 Fellows and be featured in Fellowship activities throughout 2022-2023. Relevant costs, as determined by the U.S. Department of State and IREX, will be covered by the Fellowship.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni in good standing (please note that Regional Leadership Center alumni are not eligible)
- Reside in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Be willing to offer a recorded message to 2022 Fellows and to submit a draft of this message for IREX approval
- Complete the Fellowship Alumni Outreach Campaign.
- Be willing to propose and participate in a knowledge-sharing activity that benefits the broader Fellowship Alumni Network and participate in Fellowship activities as requested
- Be willing to sign an Award Terms and Conditions agreement and media release form.
The selected winner will…
- Have a proven track record of servant leadership in their personal or professional community. Servant leadership is a leadership philosophy built on the belief that the most effective leaders strive to serve others and give back to the community. Ideal candidates for the Leadership Impact Award are Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni who have freely and consistently committed their time and expertise to the needs of others—whether inside or outside of work—by promoting inclusion, innovation, and access in their personal or professional communities.
- Be an advocate and active ambassador for the Mandela Washington Fellowship.
- Have practical, relevant, and compelling advice for the 2022 Mandela Washington Fellowship cohort.
- Be professional in their behavior and possess sufficient English proficiency to fully engage with Fellowship stakeholders and participate in Fellowship activities as required.
- Nomination Deadline | April 8, 2022
- Nominee Application Period | April 11 -April 29, 2022
- Notification of Award | Late May 2022
To be considered for the Leadership Impact Award, nominees must submit the online application by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on April 29, 2022.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.