The application to host a 2023 Leadership Institute is now closed.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is seeking qualified U.S.-based post-secondary educational institutions including accredited U.S. colleges and universities and non-governmental organizations to host and implement six-week Leadership Institutes in summer 2023. Institute Partners will host 25 Fellows from mid-June to late July 2023 for a non-credit, non-degree, six-week Institute.
Joint applications between two educational institutions are permitted, particularly in cases where a smaller institution may wish to partner with a neighboring institution to leverage complementary resources. All joint applications must designate one official entity as the lead administrator on the subaward and should delineate how responsibilities will be shared.
Highlights of the 2023 Fellowship will include:
- Promising young African leaders between the ages of 25 and 35 will enhance their skills and expertise at selected U.S. colleges and universities through Leadership Institutes in one of three themes (tracks): Business, Civic Engagement, and Public Management.
- Leadership Institutes across the United States will host cohorts of 25 Fellows from mid-June through late July 2023 for a non-credit, non-degree, executive leadership-style academic program.
- An intensive Institute model that combines practical academic sessions, leadership training, site visits, professional networking opportunities, community service, and organized cultural activities to maximize professional adult learning and cultural exchange.
- Programming that strengthens connections between the United States and Africa and establishes enduring partnerships between Fellows, local communities, and private businesses.
Applications for all tracks are welcome; please contact Steven Funk, Senior Program Officer, at email@example.com with any questions. Eligible U.S.-based educational institutions who would like to host a Leadership Institute in 2023 should submit the online application and required materials to IREX no later than Wednesday, October 12, 2022.
Minority-serving institutions (MSIs), historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs), and community colleges are encouraged to apply.
Did you miss the HBCU Coffee Chat?
Institutions that are unfamiliar with the Fellowship should watch the recording of this virtual event on the Fellowship’s YouTube page for more information.
To learn more about the Mandela Washington Fellowship’s highlights and success stories, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@WashFellowship) and Instagram (@MandelaWashFellowship). Our social media accounts feature stories about Fellows as well as highlights from previous Institutes and Summits.
2023 Mandela Washington Fellowship RFA Materials, Templates, and Submission:
- 2023 Request for Leadership Institute Applications
- 2023 Leadership Institute Narrative Template
- 2023 Leadership Institute Budget Narrative Template
- 2023 Leadership Institute Budget Worksheet Template
- 2023 Institute Partner Application Form (For Reference Only)
- Reference Material: At-A-Glance Sample Calendar
- Reference Material: Leadership Development and Action Plan (LDAP)
- Reference Material: Common Leadership Curriculum (CLC) Facilitator Guide
- Reference Material: Focus Project Worksheet
- Reference Material: Focus Project Toolkit
- Reference Material: Focus Project Coaching Overview