Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit
August 3 – 4, 2021
At the conclusion of the Leadership Institutes, all Fellows participated in the annual Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit, where Fellows, guests from U.S. Government agencies, and representatives of businesses and organizations with interest in Africa engage in high-level sessions and workshops. This culminating event is an opportunity for Fellows to build the foundations of long-term partnerships with U.S. professionals and each other and make plans to continue their leadership journey after their Fellowship.
The Summit includes:
- U.S. Government Engagement | Speakers from various U.S. Government agencies joined the Fellows to engage on key policy and economic issues and make plans for future collaboration.
- Partnership Expo | Representatives from the U.S. Government, private sector, and civil society showcased their work in Africa and explore opportunities for future collaboration with the Fellows.
- Ignite Talks | Eight 2021 Fellows had their their three- to five-minute TED Talk-style presentations showcased during the Summit. Ignite Talks provide a platform for Fellows to share the work they are doing or plan to do after their Fellowships or to share their thoughts on an issue of importance to them.
- 2021 Leadership Impact Award | Learn about the 2021 Leadership Impact Award Winner, 2019 Fellowship Alumnus from Tanzania Ian Tarimo.
- Meet-Ups | Fellows participated in small group conversations to discuss practical ways to address common challenges, allowing them to connect with each other and representatives from the U.S. Government, Leadership Institutes, and other partners.
- Networking | Fellows were encouraged to connect via networking sessions, allowing them to interact with other Fellows and Fellowship stakeholders for brief conversations and exchange contact information.
- Discussion Boards | Throughout the Summit, discussion threads prompted Fellows to engage on a variety of sector-specific topics, allowing for the exchange of ideas and informal networking.