Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit
July 12 – 13, 2022
By Invitation Only
At the conclusion of the Leadership Institutes, all Fellows participate in the annual Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit, where Fellows, guests from U.S. Government agencies, and representatives of businesses and organizations with interest in Africa engage in high-level sessions and workshops. This culminating event is an opportunity for Fellows to build the foundations of long-term partnerships with U.S. professionals and each other and make plans to continue their leadership journey after their Fellowship.
The 2022 Summit included:
- U.S. Government Engagement | Speakers from various U.S. Government agencies engaged the Fellows on key policy and economic issues and made plans for future collaboration.
- Partnership Expo | Representatives from the U.S. Government, private sector, and civil society showcased their work in Africa and explored opportunities for future collaboration with the Fellows.
- Ignite Talks | Selected 2022 Fellows presented their three- to five-minute Ignite Talks during the Summit. Ignite Talks provide a platform for Fellows to share the work they are doing or plan to do after their Fellowships or to share their thoughts on an issue of importance to them.
- 2022 Leadership Impact Award | Announced during the Summit, the 2022 Leadership Impact Award was given to Marie Christina Kolo, 2017 Fellowship Alumna from Madagascar. Learn more about Marie Christina and her work.
- Networking | Fellows were encouraged to connect via networking sessions, allowing them to interact with other Fellows and Fellowship stakeholders for brief conversations and exchange contact information.
- Discussion Boards | Throughout the Summit, discussion threads prompted Fellows to engage on a variety of sector-specific topics, allowing for the exchange of ideas and informal networking.