Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit
August 3 – 4, 2021
By Invitation Only
At the conclusion of the Leadership Institutes, all Fellows participate in the annual Mandela Washington Fellowship Summit, where Fellows, guests from U.S. Government agencies, and representatives of businesses and organizations with interest in Africa engage in high-level sessions and workshops. This culminating event is an opportunity for Fellows to build the foundations of long-term partnerships with American professionals and each other and make plans to continue their leadership journey after their Fellowships.
The Summit includes:
- U.S. Government Engagement | Speakers from various U.S. Government agencies join the Fellows to engage on key policy and economic issues and make plans for future collaboration.
- Partnership Expo | Representatives from the U.S. Government, private sector, and civil society showcase their work in Africa and explore opportunities for future collaboration with the Fellows.
- Ignite Talks | Up to six (6) Fellows will have their three- to five-minute TED Talk-style presentation showcased during the Summit. The Ignite Talks are designed to provide a platform for Fellows to share the work they are doing or plan to do after their Fellowships or to share their thoughts on an issue of importance to them. Each Fellow will be able to upload a video to the Summit platform.
- 2021 Leadership Impact Award | The winner of the Fellowship’s annual Leadership Impact Award will be announced during the Summit. Learn more about the Leadership Impact Award.
- Meet-Ups | Fellows participate in small group conversations to discuss practical ways to address common challenges, allowing them to connect with each other and representatives from the U.S. Government, Leadership Institutes, and other partners.
- Networking | Fellows will be encouraged to connect via networking sessions, allowing them to interact with other Fellows and Fellowship Stakeholders for brief conversations and exchange contact information.
- Discussion Boards | Throughout the Summit, discussion threads will prompt Fellows to engage on a variety of sector-specific topics, allowing for the exchange of ideas and informal networking.